When a storm is approaching there is a few insurance FIY’s you should be aware about and AFTER the storm too, and we are going to talk about them in the following blog!
FYI before a storm you should know:
- New and existing policies will not be written when a storm nears the gulf.
- Make sure your policy covers additional living expenses for a temporary residence if you are not able to live in your home due to the damages from a disaster
- Be prepared with a detailed written and/or photographic inventory of your homes contents and store in a safe place with your policy
- If your insurance does not cover flood or windstorm perils, ask about coverage through the Texas windstorm insurance association or the national food insurance program
FYI after the storm you should know:
- give prompt written notice to your insurance company
- photograph or video tape damaged structures and property. Make a list of damaged or lost items
- do not throw out damaged property before your adjuster has inspected the debris unless it is a hazard or impedes local cleanup
- keep an accurate record of temporary repair and living expenses if a loss of use is suffered
Every water disaster is different, from the amount of water to the level of contamination of the water. Each scenario requires a unique solution, but the general process stays the same.
SERVPRO franchise professionals have the expertise and highly advanced equipment that allows us to emphasize monitoring and documenting the drying process from beginning to end to properly restore your property to pre-water damage condition with no mistakes at all. Our experience and scientific approach to water removal and water cleanup enable us to properly dry and restore any type of damage water that may have occurred to your home or business.